Sign, sign, everywhere a sign, remember that song? The STOP SIGN, probably one of the most used and installed traffic control signs that is used to prevent two or more vehicles on our American Highways from crashing into each other injuring it’s passengers. Safety, is number one when it comes to the Federal Highway Administration specifying exactly what type, size and grade of reflective material used for a R1-1 STOP SIGN.
Having the correct type and thickness of aluminum is critical for your signs. The Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices states the 5052-H38 or 6061T Aluminum that is a minimum of .080” thick is require for proper traffic control safety signs used by city department of public works, county road departments, highway contractors and state traffic sign departments.
The type of reflective sheeting used for your traffic control STOP sign is critical as well.
ASTM TYPE IV – 3M HIGH INTENSITY PRISMATIC
- 3M™ High Intensity Prismatic Reflective Sheeting Series 3930 is a non-metalized microprismatic lens reflective sheeting for production of reflective work zone signs
- Durable, tough topcoat aids against scuffs and scratches
- Meets ASTM D4956 Type III, IV
- Performance warranted for up to 10 years
ASTM TYPE XI - 3M DIAMOND GRADE CUBED
- Diamond Grade Cubed - DG3 optical elements return almost 60 percent of available light to drivers—nearly double that of other prismatic sheetings.
- Meets ASTM Type XI Specifications
- High performance in both day and night-time environments
- Helps overcome reduced sign illumination from VOA headlights
- Offers excellent life-cycle value
- Disadvantaged sign placement locations such as overhead or left shoulder
- 12 year warranty
Which size sign right for me?
Typically there are three different size octagon blanks used for STOP signs; 30” x 30”, 36” x 36” and 48” x 48”. Depending on the number lanes of traffic, speed or the road conditions determine which size is correct for your road situation.
Choosing the right traffic sign manufacturer is also crucial when deciding where to buy your traffic signs and Dornbos Sign & Safety Inc. has over 60 years experience making quality signs that meet or exceed specifications.